I hope all of you have taken some time to write down your resolutions for the new year. Do you look back on the last year and wish you would have done something? Is there a habit you want to break? Something you want to learn? Something you want to improve? These things should be on your list of resolutions.
Maybe you want to choose a word to influence the new year, like simplify. Then let that word influence goals you want to accomplish each month.
However you do it, I think that some kind of self-love should be in there somewhere. For instance, set a goal to pamper yourself once a month or every other month, whatever works for you. I say this because as a mother of young children I rarely ever took time for myself but as I’ve gotten older and life just seems to get crazier, with young and older children, I have grown wise in the fact that moms need “me time”. It is very beneficial to you AND your family to take care of yourself and feel good about yourself, giving you the strength (physically, mentally, spiritually) to take care of others.
“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
– Lucille Ball
Every one is different and enjoys different things in terms of pampering one’s self. Find what you love and do it. Here are a few suggestions, of course they are things that I’ve enjoyed.
1.Go get a massage-Years ago my husband set up an appointment, for me, with my sister-in-law who is a massage therapist (without me knowing). He then asked me, as he did every so often, if I could go pick up some paperwork from a co-worker’s daughter for him. Long story short, I thought I was meeting this woman at her workplace to pick up some paperwork for my husband, but really he had sent me to get a massage from my sister-in-law. I had NO CLUE until I saw my sister-in-law walk through the door, even then I was trying to figure out why she was there. I didn’t realize it was her building that I had gone to, she was my NEW sister-in-law after all and I had never been there before (I was so glad I had showered and even shaved my legs that day). Anyway, IT FELT AMAZING. If you are looking for a great massage and you live in Utah check her out at . Stephanie has over 14 years experience. http://therapynext.com/profile/StephanieColemere
2. Take a relaxing bath or soak your feet– I was recently introduced to The Blooming Cactus Co. and had the opportunity to try their product. It was definitely a treat. Soaking in pleasant smelling water is relaxing and rejuvenating. My daughter and I love to soak our feet in hot water with bath bombs or salts before painting our nails together. I love the way they make my skin smell (so does my husband) and whatever oils are in them seem to help moisturize my skin.
Fatigue is the common enemy of us all–so slow down, rest up, replenish and refill. -Jefferey R. Holland
3. Get a pedicure or treat yourself to other spa services – The place I’ve gone the most for a pedicure is VJ Nails & Spa at Jordan Landing- I like this place because it’s fairly close to me and they take walk-ins, most times that I decide to get a pedicure, it’s spur of the moment. Also, they are really good painting flowers/designs. Some places I’ve gone don’t even offer them. If I’m going to pay for someone to paint my nails then I want more than just the paint. If you go here, try to get one of the men to do yours. Days before I was going to be induced with my last child I went here for a pedicure. An older man did mine and was amazing. I think he felt bad for me or something because he did my leg/foot massage extra long and strong. Most of the pedicures I’ve had the person just quickly rubs in the lotion and, especially women, seem to do it so light but men really massage and rub it in harder, that’s what I like. Cute toes just make me smile!
“Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” -Eleanor Brown
Cottage Retreat Day Spa is located at Gardner Village, one of my favorite places to visit. The atmosphere is my favorite part about this place as the pedicure was just mediocre. I’ve had my eyebrows waxed here as well and they did a really good job.
A friend of mine likes to go to The Spa Club at Jordan Landing, I’ve never been myself but I think I may try it sometime.
Both of my sisters have been to have been to Bells Nails on 104th and Redwood in South Jordan and they really like it. Another one I need to try!
4. Get your hair done – I don’t know about you, but I feel new again after I get my hair cut and/or colored.
5. Go shopping… for yourself– In years past when I would go shopping it seemed that I would get stuff for my kids rather than for me. Well, it’s important to get something for yourself now and then to give yourself a boost. Buy a shirt or that pair of shoes you’ve had your eye on for a while. Maybe even a necklace or other accessory. Get some lipstick that makes you feel beautiful. Buy something that makes you smile to hang on your rear view mirror or to decorate your house. Buy something you’ve been holding back on. I recommend not going crazy and spending an outrageous amount, otherwise it will later bring on a little depression when you get the credit card bill, which totally defeats the purpose. Just a little something to improve your state of mind.
“If you want to give light to others, you have to glow yourself.”- Thomas S. Monson
6. Go to lunch with some friends– One of my favorite places for lunch right now is Zupas. I love their Wisconsin Cauliflower soup and I’ve decided that the best sandwich is the BBQ pulled pork. The strawberry harvest chicken salad is quite delicious as well.
You could even just go out for a treat. The Sweet Tooth Fairy is my favorite cupcake place. Their sweets are divine and the atmosphere is so fun. They have many locations throughout Utah and one in Gilbert Arizona.Another place with great sweets and fun atmosphere is The Chocolate They are located in West Jordan and Orem Utah.
7. Have a girl’s night– Get some friends together and do something you love. See a movie, get some icecream, have a craft or game night.
8. Lock yourself in your room with some chocolate and a good book. I know that everyone has different taste in what they like to read but here are some of my favorites:
ANYTHING by Shannon Hale, she is my absolute favorite author.
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer( Cinder, Scarlet, Cress…)
Cinderella’s Dress by Shonna Slayton
Books by Sarah Jio
A friend of mine let me borrow Shadows of Valor by Elsie Park over Christmas break, I loved it- read it in 2 days.
These are just a handful of great easy reads to escape into, as a treat to yourself.
SO, add some self love to your resolutions this year, if you haven’t already, and pamper yourself. Whatever makes you happy, set aside some time to do it. You don’t need to go crazy, maybe do one that costs money one month and then one that doesn’t the next. I promise if you take time for yourself, you will feel a rejuvenation that everyone needs from time to time.
In what ways do you pamper yourself? I would love for you all to share your favorite ways and places, where you live.
SEE THE HAPPY!