The Kusi Life

Army Dresser Makeover

  • This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission.  It in no way affects the purchase price.

In my home I love to create unique pieces of furniture and decor according to my wants and needs. When the bedroom finally got finished in the basement last year my two oldest boys were eager to move in as 4 boys were together in a room upstairs.  The theme they chose for the room is Army theme.  My oldest happened to find an awesome footlocker at Deseret Industries (our local thrift store) and purchased that to keep some of his things.blog dresser 3

Many months later I found this dresser on a yard sale sight and snatched it up for $30.  I love old furniture and this one was “love at first sight.”  Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of it when I bought it.  The drawers needed a little help but were easily fixed and the handles were very old and great but just not for this project (they are definitely being saved for another project).  It sat in my garage all winter and when the spring weather hit, we tackled this baby.blog dresser

My oldest told me that he wanted to make this dresser look similar to the footlocker he bought.  So we matched the color as close as we could and got to work.

He sanded it down with the  Mouse Detail Sander  and then I picked up Valspar paint/primer from Lowes, the color is Blackened Pine.  We didn’t prime it because we were going for a rough antique look so we weren’t worried about it soaking into the wood a little.  I didn’t expect the paint/primer mix to work as well as it did.  One coat later it looked GREAT!  It sat for a few days as life got busy.

Then I pulled out my Cricut Explore Air  and cut out the words, numbers, and a star for the sides.  Here are the SVG files for the words and numbers as well as the star I did, if you would like to use them.  I cut them out of some left over contact paper I had so I wouldn’t waste my good vinyl.  Then put them on where I wanted them and painted them in with this FolkArt Chalk Paint  .blog dresser1

Then I went in search of some handles.  I decided to check Target since I was there for something else already and found these beauties.  The holes didn’t match up so we had to drill some new holes, luckily they covered up the old holes.  We made a template by tracing the handle on paper and then poking the holes where they were located.  We made sure to use a leveler to make sure they were straight and got those puppies on there. blog dresser2

blog dresser4

I am thrilled with how it turned out.  It looks absolutely awesome and my boys love it too.  It is amazing the feeling I get when I create something of my own and it turns out as grand as what I had in my head, OH THE JOY!

blog dresser6

blog dresser7

SEE THE HAPPY!

Megsignature

pin dresser

9 thoughts on “Army Dresser Makeover

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *